Green Simhastha: Ujjain Kumbha Mela
Pujya Swamiji met with the Head of the Central Wing of Simhastha Kumbha Mela, Shri Makhan Singhji and on the same day, a much larger meeting was organized with the entire team of the Simhastha, including District Magistrate, Shri Rajesh Rajora, Mela Adhikari Shri Avinash Lavania, lAS, District Collector Shri Kavindra Kiyawat, IAS, and others, in mid February.
Pujya Swamiji shared about His recent visit to the Clean and Green Ganga Sagar Mela and the incredible Interfaith Swachhta Sankalp event. He also shared the wonderful learnings that had come forth from the Open Defecation Free initiative of the Government of West Bengal, with the technical support of UNICEF.
He spoke on His vision for a Clean and Green Simhastha, as one that could deeply inspire people to not only bathe in the holy waters of Kshipra but to take the message and the clean and green pledge back to their homes, families and communities.
He also said that the Global Interfaith WASH Alliance (GIWA) would be participating in the month long camp in Ujjain to raise awareness on these vital issues with the following areas of focus:
- The promotion of cleanliness and good sanitation practices
- Encouraging visitors to use toilets and to stop open defecation
- Reducing plastic use and plastic waste
- Encouraging the use of dustbins and the avoidance of littering
- Bringing all the revered religious leaders and interfaith leaders to inspire everyone to take this Swachhta Sankalp back to their communities.
These messages will be shared through the following mediums:
- Awareness-raising events at our camp and other prominent camps throughout the mela featuring many of India’s most respected spiritual leaders alongside other high-profile individuals
- Hoardings, billboards, banners and posters with awareness messages
- Mural paintings on the walls of toilet complexes and other designated areas
- LED and TV screens that display our awareness-raising advertisements/ PSAs
- Folk theatre performances
- Messages on PA systems across the Kumbh grounds
- Kiosks with information on good sanitation practices
- Volunteers to help spread the messages
- Themed parades with key messages
- Mobile education van
- Sound and Light/Laser Show over the River Ganga
Everyone was so deeply inspired by His visit and looked forward to making the vision of a Clean and Green Kumbha Mela with a truly profound, universal message of oneness and togetherness a reality for the millions of pilgrims coming to take a holy dip.